kickstart using ksdevice=link doesn't find the right NIC

Jason Edgecombe jason at rampaginggeek.com
Fri Nov 7 20:24:43 UTC 2008

Hi Everyone,

I'm trying to kickstart a Dell PowerEdge R200 with 4 NIC's (2 onboard &
2 cards). The NIC's are the following:
2 x Broadcom Corporation NetXtreme BCM5722 Gigabit Ethernet PCI Express
2 x Broadcom Corporation NetXtreme BCM5721 Gigabit Ethernet PCI Express

the onboard NIC labeled "1" (eth2) is the only one plugged in. I can
kickstart and get an IP if I use "ksdevice=eth2 or ksdevice=MAC_ADDRESS,
but ksdevice=link just attempts to use eth0.

Has anyone has any issues with ksdevice=link failing like this?

The OS is RHEL5.2 x86_64. I boot from a CD or grub on the hard drive.,
The RPMs are on a NFS share and the kickstart file comes from a web server.

Any ideas?

Thanks,
Jason