Re: Forcing a disk rescan after %pre

On Thu, 2 Oct 2008, John Summerfield wrote:

Dag Wieers wrote:
 We are integrating some pre-install scripts. One of the things we have now
 is that in the %pre phase the HW RAID controller is tested for "Virtual
 disks" and if none are found it will create a RAID config depending on the
 number of disks found.

 The problem is that even when we created the RAID, restarted the RAID
 driver and created the device node (fdisk -l shows the new disk). Anaconda
 does not know about the new disk, likely because the scan for disks
 happened before.

 I found a file /tmp/scsidisks and also rewrite that file, but still
 Anaconda does not update its view of the system after the %pre.

 Does someone know how we can make Anaconda understand that we created a
 disk in the %pre ?

I'm a little puzzled. Years ago (RHL 7.x I think) I used to initialise disks in %pre with various incantations of dd and fdisk (one can pipe commands into fdisk). That worked fine, and I'm pretty sure I created new partitions. fdisk forces partition tables to be reread.

Of course, it's possible anaconda has been broken since then:-)

This is not partitioning disks. This is in fact creating a /dev/sda where previously there was no local disk in the %pre.

--
--   dag wieers,  dag wieers com,  http://dag.wieers.com/   --