initiating kickstart install from fc9 media

John Summerfield debian at herakles.homelinux.org
Mon Sep 22 04:55:50 UTC 2008

Richard wrote:
> Hi,

Note, it's "Fedora Core" no more.

> I am probably missing something very obvious. But I cannot see how I
> initiate the kickstart install from the fc9 media (neither the
> Fedora-9-i386-disc1.iso nor the Fedora-9-i386-netinst.iso).
>
> I have performed the following successfully ....
>    1. downloaded and extracted the full fc9 DVD.iso to a local
> "kickstart server"
>    2. downloaded and created CD's from the images ....
>            * Fedora-9-i386-disc1.iso
>            * Fedora-9-i386-netinst.iso
>    3. successfully performed a network install from the extracted fc9
> media (via http)
>            * booted from Fedora-9-i386-netinst.iso
>            * via menu's, pointed installation process at the fc9 media
> on my "kickstart server"
>            * entered data for configuration and package selection manually
>            * ended up with a fully functional server!
>    4. copied the kickstart file created during the manual install
>            * placed it in the media directory (i.e. ./fc9/i386/os/) as
> ks.cfg
>            * using a browser from another machine confirmed ks.cfg is
> readable via http
>
> Now I want to initiate my kickstart installation to "repeat" the install
> I have performed interactively on other machines.  Bit I cannot work out
> how using the fc9 media I can access the boot: command line.

"media" refers to the actual boot disk, not to the install tree.

> The OLDER Fedora install media had a selection menu at boot time that
> enabled you to select the command line and simply enter "boot: linux
> ks=http://192.168.3.204/fcx/ks.cfg".

I'm sure something of that kind will work now.

> The fc9 kickstart documentation still advises to enter a boot command at
> the boot prompt. "linux ks=..." etc.
>
> But the fc9 media that I have just runs straight past the point where
> you can enter a command at the boot prompt.  I can see this stage of the
> install process "flashing by" on the display but it does not pause for
> me to make a selection.  I assume this is because there are now separate
> .iso images / CD's for the network install and the "CD install".

?

I recently used the f9 netinst iso image as a a rescue disk. I had no
problem selecting the correct entrey and appending my preferred boot
option (I like to add vga=794 whenever my hardware supports it).

> Any suggestions gratefully received.

I would unpack the iso and edit/add a menu entry having
hs=http://example.com/f9/install.ks or similar, then recreate the ISO
using mkisofs (google for the right incantation, it's not obvious) and
burn a new CD.

The advantage to using http to get the ks file is simplicity in changing
  the file's content, no need to burn more CDs.

You could also set up and use PXE, no CDs required.

--

Cheers
John

-- spambait