Device naming for hd:<dev>:<path> when installing off a USB HD

Pablo Iranzo Gómez Pablo.Iranzo at redhat.com
Tue Sep 9 08:36:19 UTC 2008

	Hi Charles

El mar, 09-09-2008 a las 03:24 -0500, Charles Duffy escribió:
> Howdy, all.
>
> I'm trying to install CentOS 5 off an external USB device. The conflict
> here is that the system I'm installing on has other USB storage devices
> built-in, and the boot order between them is inconsistent.

> This means that even if I scan the current list of device names and
> labels and then kexec into the installer after observing how my initial
> kernel names them, I have only a 50/50 chance of the device names used
> for ks=hd:<dev>:/ks.cfg and method=hd:<dev>:/ being valid.
>

> What's the Right Way to resolve this issue?

	LiveUSB's use a UUID=????-???? that identifies the root filesystem to
boot

> Would it work to copy ks.cfg onto the local hard drive (which *isn't*
> changing names between boots), have a %pre that generates an appropriate
> harddrive stanza, and %include that?

	What I did to resolve this issue is to create a LiveUSB using
livecd-tools from EPEL, and then inside the disk created a small script
that searched for the hard drive to partition, give it boot files
'syslinux' and then reboot, so the system starts from that hard drive
and perform an installation with the correct devices placed there.

	The problem with mixing both scsi, usb drives is that you'll never know
what are your drive names going to be on the next system... so UUID
could work but... will need tweaks as afaik anaconda checks for device
name.

	Probably you could hack anaconda to run a custom script than looks for
the correct path, and passes it to 'real' anaconda...

	Regards
	Pablo

--

Pablo Iranzo Gómez (Pablo.Iranzo at redhat.com)
RHCE/RHCSP/RHCSS Global Profesional Services Consultant Spain

--
Inscrita en el Reg. Mercantil de Madrid – C.I.F. B-82 65 79 41
Directores: Michael Cunningham, Charlie Peters y David Owens