Problem with updated driverdisk not being used

Pat patchu1 at yahoo.com
Mon Apr 13 20:36:26 UTC 2009

Quick Summary:

RHEL 5.2 is using the default driver rather than the updated driver I specified using the driverdisk option in my kickstart file.

Detailed Description:

I have a system with a 3ware 9650SE RAID card which I'm installing RHEL 5.2 (x86_64) on. The system will be booting from this 3ware card. RHEL 5.2 comes with a default driver that can automatically detect and use this card. The driver is 3w-9xxx Driver version: 2.26.02.008.

I'm trying to use an updated driver from 3ware, 2.26.08.004, by specifying the driverdisk option in my kickstart file:

driverdisk --source=http://192.168.0.119/3waredriverdisk.img

BTW, I generated the img driver disk using the instructions from the page http://www.ruizs.org/archives/49:

#Create a blank, 20MB image
dd if=/dev/zero of=/root/driverdisk.img bs=1M count=2
#Format the image with ext2
mkfs -t ext2 -q /root/driverdisk.img
#mount it and copy the files over
mount -o loop /root/driverdisk.img /mnt/tmp
cp /root/3ware/* /mnt/tmp/
umount /mnt/tmp

However after the installation is complete, the default 3ware driver is still being used. I should note the rest of my kickstart directives were followed correctly.

I have an idea on what is going wrong. The kickstart command I use is:

linux ks=http://192.168.0.119/mykickstart.cfg

Right after I hit return, RHEL loads up the default 3w-9xxx driver. It did not even go on to the network to read my kickstart file, I know this since I'm prompted to choose which ethernet port to use by anaconda since there are two network ports on the system, the default 3w-9xxx driver loads before that. So I'm guessing my driverdisk option in my kickstart is ignored since a driver is already loaded. Perhaps anaconda would not have loaded the default 3ware driver if I had used the linux dd command at the prompt rather than specifying it in the kickstart?

Does anyone have suggestions on a workaround? I can't use the linux dd command since I don't want to swap disk everytime. Thank for any assistance!

Regards,
Pat