adding commands to installer image

John Summerfield debian at herakles.homelinux.org
Thu Aug 6 02:53:52 UTC 2009

Larry Brigman wrote:
> On Wed, Aug 5, 2009 at 7:40 AM, Jeroen van Meeuwen<kanarip at kanarip.com> wrote:
>> On Wed, 5 Aug 2009 07:34:42 -0700, Larry Brigman <larry.brigman at gmail.com>
>> wrote:
>>> Because the timestamp file in the future prevents new configurations from
>>> being
>>> recognized as up to date.  If I had a way to force the time during the
>>> %pre script to
>>> UTC, this would not be an issue.
>>>
>> You mean your configuration management utility (if any) compares by
>> timestamp rather then, say, md5sum? You're not using Puppet/CFEngine/BCFG?
>>

> Not using Puppet/CFEngine/BCFG.
> The timestamp file is created during the post install of the rpm.
> This is used as a safety
> check to insure that the configuration tool is run after install to
> have an up to date configuration
> with the existing config management utility - sanity check of the config file.

I have regularly seen files timestamped  "in the future" after
installation, and I don't do anything extraordinary. I always run my
computers' clocks on local time.

I have always assumed, "Stupid Americans, they always think the rest of
the world does things their way."

Having files timestamped in the future has never caused me any problem.

What configuration management tools are you using, Larry?

--

Cheers
John

-- spambait