adding commands to installer image

John Summerfield debian at herakles.homelinux.org
Thu Aug 6 05:58:09 UTC 2009

Bryan J Smith wrote:
> On Thu, 2009-08-06 at 10:53 +0800, John Summerfield wrote:
>> I have regularly seen files timestamped  "in the future" after
>> installation, and I don't do anything extraordinary. I always run my
>> computers' clocks on local time.
>> I have always assumed, "Stupid Americans, they always think the rest of
>> the world does things their way."
>
> Actually, running the RTC on localtime is very much a legacy Microsoft
> limitation / attitude.  So the allegedly "stupid American way" is
> actually to run your RTC on localtime.

I think you missed the point, nothing here sets the clock, so Anaconda
runs with whatever time is already set. Whatever is set by the vendor is
what's in the BIOS when I run (any) Linux installer.

I don't get to set the clock until later, most commonly after manually
editing the ntp configuration since (unless it's changed since last I
looked), noting uses the ntp server information I provide via DHCP.

It's worth noting that Microsoft, whom you mention, is a "Stupid
American Company that always thinks the rest of the world does things
their way."

And IBM, who set the basic PC design is another.

Anaconda could, and should, set the PC's clock ASAP after it knows what
timezone it's in, and how the user wants it stored.

> Open systems have traditionally run their RTC on UTC.  The idea is that
> you offset everything, system, application, user, etc... localtime, from
> UTC, which is the RTC.
>
> Here's the general rule of thumb ...
> - All RTCs and most "real-time" stamps should be made in UTC
> - Events should be made in the specific timezone they are local to
>
> Remember, timezones change, and even timezone rules (offsets) change.
> UTC does not.  Hence why RTCs should be UTC always, and most real-time
> events stamped on UTC.

Thankfully, we've done away with daylight saving here. Several times, by
referendum each time.

Our localtime is UTC+0800 for the foreseeable future.

I don't see that Larry answered my question.

Note, I am not saying Americans are universally stupid, just that my
perception of some ideas they have they have is that the ideas are. Such
as, "Everyone uses Letter paper."

--

Cheers
John