Sending back input to users

John Summerfield debian at herakles.homelinux.org
Tue Aug 11 04:56:59 UTC 2009

Joel Schuweiler wrote:
> Is it possible to present custom screens to the end user in the middle of a Kickstart? Like if I encounter an error, I might want to spit back, "You've chosen invalid hardware, please try again."

Well, yes, at least sometimes. However, you do need to know someone's
watching.

If you're installing to a system with a local console and someone's
watching,
you could use chvt to switch to a virtual console and there say
something. It might also be good to make some noises, so as to attract
attention.

However the answer's probably "no" if a user's using ssh to connect, and
certainly "no" if there's no kind of console, virtual or real, attached.

Whenever I've wanted to provide feedback, I've done it by email. That
does require the install to complete, in my case that's ordinarily the case.

--

Cheers
John

-- spambait