Ruby parser for kickstart files

Chris Lumens clumens at redhat.com
Fri Aug 21 15:41:28 UTC 2009

> There's /nothing/ wrong with using another web development platform if
> you like it better.
>
> Fedora should not have any language preferences.
>
> Despite being a Python fan, having been on the wrong side of language
> wars before, I won't support them, and they are wrong for lots of
> reasons.

It's just a weird inconsistency when we already have so much code
written (including libraries anyone can make use of) in Python.  It just
seems like it'd be the quickest and easiest way to go.

Not that I have any particular love for Python...

> Fortunately though, there's absolutely no reason something building
> kickstarts /needs/ pykickstart.

This only really works as long as you are generating simple kickstart
files.  If you are generating complicated ones, you will have to be
careful to make sure your file is recognized as valid input by anaconda.
Using pykickstart already gives you that guarantee, as its output is
also valid input - if not, that's my bug, not yours.

> In the case of pykickstart, this is nice, because pykickstart running on
> EL 4 can't create a Fedora 11 compatible kickstart anyway.... it doesn't
> know about the new tags.
>
> With a templating system, you could run your kickstart generator on any
> platform, and it wouldn't matter what version of pykickstart you had.

If you've got the 1.x series of pykickstart installed, it's got the
multiple version support that should allow you to generate kickstart
files for whatever version you want.  Of course, you may need a fancier
version of python installed that RHEL4 supports.

- Chris