Configure Kickstart with a degraded RAID1

false drewweath at yahoo.com
Mon Aug 31 14:24:29 UTC 2009

Has anyone successfully configured their system with Kickstart to have a degraded RAID1 array?

I have tried in the command portion and it doesn't appear that Kickstart allows a degraded RAID1 array.  If this is true, then has anyone successfully configured a RAID 1 in the %pre section using mdadm?  I know mdadm can configure a degraded RAID 1 but I am still learning what I can and can't do in Kickstart especially in the %pre portion of the script.

As for why I want a degraded RAID 1 system.  I have a group of servers setup as a test environment with limited hardware.  I am attempting to mimic the static drive partitions via sdisk.  I want to eventually go virtual (possibly with XEN) for a more complete system test.  But baby steps first - getting a Kickstart script that gives me the desired system setup.

Any info on building a degraded RAID 1 or commands available in the %pre portion of the Kickstart file is greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Drew