Partition layout for system recovery

Rusch Philipp pru09 philipp.rusch at gw-world.com
Thu Feb 5 09:24:36 UTC 2009

Hello all,

I have a general question to you. I hope that this is the right list for my question.

What do you do if you have changed some LVM configs and you have to restore the whole server with the initial kickstart file where those changes are not listed?

Actually I am using the following scenario:

Mostly the disk space in our servers vary (attached SAN storage, local disks...). I have a general partition layout with LVM for the /, /tmp and /var filesystem. The application is installed on a separate logical volume. So, if you have to resize the logical volume, you should add the lvol configuration to the initial kickstart file.

In a disaster recovery I install the server again with a minimal kickstart file (only the essential packages) and restore the whole filesystem from the tape.

The problem is, if you have changed something in the LVM config the restore kickstart file does not contain this information.

Does anyone of you had the same problem and how have you solved it? Is there a possibility to automate this process or to get the whole partition and LVM config in a kickstartable layout?! :-)

Thanks in advance for your input!

rgds