64-bit installation

Piotr Romanus piotr.romanus at gmail.com
Tue Feb 3 20:15:53 UTC 2009

On Mon, Feb 2, 2009 at 10:18 AM, Jos Vos <jos at xos.nl> wrote:

> It in principle should "just work" if you do a 64-bit installation.
> RPM has a built-in mechanism of "knowing what's good for you" ;-):
> 64-bit binaries have a higher precedence than 32-bit binaries.

So my question is how do I install 32-bit libraries? I installed
RHEL5.2 (x86_64) on a PC. After the installation this PC has 2 sets of
libraries (64-bit and 32-bit):

/lib, /lib64, /usr/lib, /usr/lib64

I looked at a single package to see what it contains:

$ rpm -ql zlib
/usr/lib64/libz.so.1
/usr/lib64/libz.so.1.2.3
/usr/share/doc/zlib-1.2.3
/usr/share/doc/zlib-1.2.3/README
/usr/lib/libz.so.1
/usr/lib/libz.so.1.2.3
/usr/share/doc/zlib-1.2.3
/usr/share/doc/zlib-1.2.3/README

But this set of files comes from 2 packages: zlib-1.2.3-3.i386.rpm and
zlib-1.2.3-3.x86_64.rpm:

rpm -qlp zlib-1.2.3-3.x86_64.rpm
/usr/lib64/libz.so.1
/usr/lib64/libz.so.1.2.3
/usr/share/doc/zlib-1.2.3
/usr/share/doc/zlib-1.2.3/README

$ rpm -qlp zlib-1.2.3-3.i386.rpm
/usr/lib/libz.so.1
/usr/lib/libz.so.1.2.3
/usr/share/doc/zlib-1.2.3
/usr/share/doc/zlib-1.2.3/README

My question is how to make sure that I have /lib and /usr/lib
populated with 32-bit libraries? Do I first install 32-bit version of
the package and then 64-bit version? Or do I list both packages on a
single rpm line? Or maybe there is some other way?

Thanks,

Piotr

P.S.

I also executed the line below:
$ rpm -q zlib-1.2.3-3
zlib-1.2.3-3
zlib-1.2.3-3

The output seems to suggest that 2 packages of zlib are installed. Am
I right is suspecting that one of them is i386 and the other x86_64?