driver

Jason Kohles email at jasonkohles.com
Fri Feb 20 16:50:17 UTC 2009

On Feb 20, 2009, at 8:35 AM, tony.chamberlain at lemko.com wrote:

> I was able to take the directory with all the driver stuff in,
> put it and only it onto a thumb drive and do dd if=/dev/sdc1
> of=raid.img
> I put it on a thumb drive because dd seems only to take devices not
> directories.  Do you know how to make an img from a directory?

To make an image from a directory (assuming the directory is named
raid_directory and the image should be named raid.img):

# Figure out how much space you need
host# du -ksh raid_directory
6M raid_directory

# Make an empty file a little bit larger than that
host# dd if=/dev/zero of=raid.img bs=1M count=7
7+0 records in
7+0 records out
7340032 bytes (7.3 MB) copied, 0.0836722 s, 87.7 MB/s

# Create a filesystem on it
host# mkfs.ext2 -F raid.img -L driverdisk
mke2fs 1.41.3 (12-Oct-2008)
Filesystem label=driverdisk
OS type: Linux
Block size=1024 (log=0)
Fragment size=1024 (log=0)
1792 inodes, 7168 blocks
358 blocks (4.99%) reserved for the super user
First data block=1
Maximum filesystem blocks=7340032
1 block group
8192 blocks per group, 8192 fragments per group
1792 inodes per group

Writing inode tables: done
Writing superblocks and filesystem accounting information: done

This filesystem will be automatically checked every 33 mounts or
180 days, whichever comes first.  Use tune2fs -c or -i to override.

# Mount it via loopback
host# mount -o loop raid.img /mnt

# Copy the directory contents to the mountpoint
host# rsync -av raid_directory/ /mnt/

# Unmount it
host# umount /mnt

--