How to "upgrade" a RHEL3/RHEL5 Dual boot system !

Arndt, Klaus klaus.arndt at verigy.com
Fri Jan 16 08:51:13 UTC 2009

Hello,

I have here several RHEL3 / RHEL5 dual boot systems,

And would like now to "upgrade" the RHEL5 System via anaconda "upgrade" paht.

The issue I got is that anaconda use the first [root] partition in the system for the upgrade,

But on the first [root] partition in the system is RHEL3 installed, which should not be overwritten.

/dev/sda1 /boot

/dev/sda2 swap

/dev/sda3 / (RHEL3U7)

/dev/sda4 [Exended]

/dev/sda5 /1 (RHEL5U0)

I found in the Mailing list a possible Patch :

https://www.redhat.com/archives/kickstart-list/2008-December/msg00019.html

but I would prefer to select the right Root partition in the %pre section of upgrade.cf

of rather then to select the right one if anaconda found more then one [root] partition

on the system.

I check the RHEL5U3 /usr/lib/anaconda/upgrade.py

File from the Beta ISO but this has also the same methode,

and select the first [root] partition for the "upgrade" :-(

Have anyone a Idea to realize this on RHEL5U1 or later ?

Regards

   Klaus

________________________________

Klaus Arndt

telnet                     57116
telephone  +49 7031 4357 116
facsimile    +49 7031 4357 ???

 <http://www.verigy.com/content/dav/verigy/Images/Internet/Logo/Verigy_email_sig.gif>

Klaus.Arndt at Verigy.com <mailto:Klaus.Arndt at Verigy.com>

Verigy Germany GmbH, Herrenberger Strasse 130, 71034 Böblingen

Sitz der Gesellschaft: Böblingen - Amtsgericht Stuttgart HRB 246167

WEEE-Reg.-Nr. DE 16968742

Geschäftsführer: Hans-Jürgen Wagner (Vors.), Dietmar Höller