cdrom issue

John Summerfield debian at herakles.homelinux.org
Fri Jan 23 00:54:02 UTC 2009

Keith Roberts wrote:
> On Thu, 22 Jan 2009, Gerald Waugh wrote:
>
>> To: kickstart-list at redhat.com
>> From: Gerald Waugh <gwaugh at frontstreetnetworks.com>
>> Subject: cdrom issue
>>
>> On CentOS4 we mounted the install cdrom in %post
>> And copied some files over to the hard drive.
>> This does not work with CentOS5.2
>>
>> %post --nochroot
>> # Mount CDROM
>> /usr/bin/mkdir /mnt/source
>> # /usr/bin/mount /tmp/cdrom /mnt/source
>> /usr/bin/mount /dev/cdrom /mnt/source
>>
>> # Move PKGS Over to /tmp/PKGS
>> /usr/bin/mkdir /mnt/sysimage/tmp/PKGS
>> /usr/bin/cp -Rp /mnt/source/PKGS/* /mnt/sysimage/tmp/PKGS >/dev/null
>> 2>&1
>>
>> # Unmount CDROM
>> /usr/bin/umount /mnt/source
>>
>> %post
>> # Run post install script
>> /tmp/finish_install.sh
>>

>> -
>> Gerald
>

> Hi Gerald. I'm a new user to kickstart so please bear with me.
>
> I managed to mount a seperate working Fedora root partition without
> using the --nochroot option. I had to make the device node as well. Here
> is the relevant part of my kickstart file:
>
> Maybe this approach would help with your problem?
>
> #---------------------------------------------------
>
> # Packages and groups to install.
> %packages --nobase
> @british-support
>
> # Needed for mknod.
> coreutils
> %end
>
> #---------------------------------------------------
>
> # Post installation script.
> %post --interpreter /bin/bash --log=/root/F10-basic-2.ks-log --erroronfail
>
> # Create the /mnt/F8-root directory.
> mkdir /mnt/F8-root
>
> #---------------------------------------------------
> # Create the device node for /dev/sda1 drive.
> mknod /dev/sda1 b 8 1
> #---------------------------------------------------

Risky.
Trust me, you don't want two device nodes for one device. I would fully
expect harm to the filesystem. If you get away with it, you're lucky.

Whether to use --chroot is a often matter of taste and coding,
influenced by available resources including device nodes.

I don't know where anaconda creates its device nodes now, they used to
be in /tmp and only exist when required. It might be now that anaconda
relies on the kernel or dbus or something else creating them somewhere.

When in the %post and %pre scripts, device nodes for the target storage
exist. Probably they do for the install device too, but it's a long time
since I looked, mostly I install off the LAN (using http).

--

Cheers
John

-- spambait