PCI Devices ( NIC ) Enumerated on RHEL5 ( latest )

James Cammarata jimi at sngx.net
Tue Jul 7 11:35:07 UTC 2009

On Tue, 07 Jul 2009 06:56:32 -0400, Harry Hoffman
<hhoffman at ip-solutions.net> wrote:
> Hi LG,
>
> You might be able to setup the ethernet devices via a bootparam.
>
> Check out the man page for bootparam and search for Ethernet Devices
> "man 7 bootparam"
>
> HTH,
> Harry
>
> Linux Geek wrote:
>> Hello,
>>
>> I am trying to install RHEL5.3 on a system with multiple Network
>> interfaces. While installation the network device names are not read in
>> correct/expected order. I set the ksdevice as eth0 ( using ksdevice=eth0

>> at boot prompt ) however the installer tries to acquire IP for eth2
>> device. I have tried using "pci=bfsort" with now luck which I believe is

>> due its applicability on few systems.
>>
>> Disabling devices in BIOS din't help either.
>>
>> Is there any way to get this wroking ?
>>
>> Thanks.

By default, cobbler uses ksdevice=bootif, and uses the extra parameter
"IPAPPEND 2" in the pxelinux file (you must do this or it won't work).
What this does is it tells Anaconda to use the ethernet device that was
used to PXE boot.  You must also be using a syslinux package of a certain
version but with RHEL5.3 that shouldn't be a concern (on RHEL4 it can be).

believed to be clean.