Kickstart upgrade package management

Hardik Modi hardik at statementofpurpose.com
Fri Jul 17 12:10:48 UTC 2009

Hello All,

I've been a satisfied user of kickstart for custom fresh installs for some
time now. The machines I'm installing to are often not connected to the
Internet and I'm looking at using the upgrade function to have my machines
step up from CentOS 4.4 to 5.3.

With a simple upgrade kickstart (only the essential lines), I'm able to run
through an upgrade cycle. This takes care of most of the packages that I
expect to see upgraded.

The reason I'm writing to the list is there are a few packages that I'd
rather the upgrader didn't touch and that I'd then fix up in the
post-install. Is there a direct way of asserting this 'ignore package'
command? The guides that I find online are quite clear that the %packages
section is ignored in an upgrade kickstart.

Thanks!
Hardik.