Manual network config, fetch tcp/ip setup from stage1 in stage2

Erling Ringen Elvsrud erlingre at gmail.com
Thu Jul 30 10:03:09 UTC 2009

On Wed, Jul 29, 2009 at 5:53 PM, Kyle Powell<kpowell at redhat.com> wrote:
[...]
> Absolutely, and you're on the right track. You can %include a file generated
> with a %pre script in your kickstart. Simply have a pre script that generates a
> file containing the network line (network --device ethx --bootproto static
> [--noipv6] --ip x.x.x.x --netmask x.x.x.x --gateway x.x.x.x --nameserver
> x.x.x.x[,x.x.x.x] [--hostname %s]) then use a %include statement to add the
> contents of the file to the kickstart. You may be able to simply parse the
> contents of /tmp/netinfo or the output of ifconfig, or you may need to resort to
> python (isys.getIPAddress). Incidentally, you could also avoid having to enter
> the info for stage 1 by passing it as command line parameters (ip=, netmask=,
> etc...). If you do this you could parse /proc/cmdline for the info.

Thanks for your reply. I did not mention that I kickstart via
Satellite Server in the first post, but it might be relevant. I have
retried a kickstart and captured screenshots to make it easier to
understand what I have done.

Here is a quick and dirty description of the process:

http://www.reisesakte.info/anaconda/

The problem is that when I kickstart via Satellite Server the network
configuration is repeated
twice even before Anaconda reaches stage2 as far as I understand. So
%prescript is not
executed early enough. It is probably common to use DHCP/PXE which
would avoid the multiple configurations before stage2 I suppose, but
at my site it is quite complex to get such a setup and I prefer to use
CD-boot if possible.

Note that the install session documented works, but is a bit
cumbersome. I hope to be able to polish the install routines more so
my users can perform installation themselves. For instance VMware
administrators. Supplying ip config on the kernel options might work,
but I would prefer nice dialog interfaces.

Any suggestions for how to best kickstart systems from satellite
server from a custom boot-iso are welcome.

Thanks,

Erling