Manual network config, fetch tcp/ip setup from stage1 in stage2

Erling Ringen Elvsrud erlingre at gmail.com
Fri Jul 31 06:28:47 UTC 2009

On 7/30/09, Callahan, Tom <CallahanT at tessco.com> wrote:
> Nice dialog interfaces to me, don't mean kickstart. I view kickstart as a
> set it and forget it install method, as I think most people use it for.
>
> If you want install dialogs, why not just boot the DVD and do the install
> the old fashioned way?

That is not an option in my case as it is too slow, requires more
interaction, is less flexible and is not scriptable. The scripting
features of kickstart is really useful. For instance I use the %post
section to install vmware-tools if the system is
running on vmware (I use dmidecode to detect this).
Using kickstart even with some manual interaction also ensures more
consistency in the installations so in my opinion it is a really good
idea even for just a few systems.

Best regards,

Erling Ringen Elvsrud