Kickstart Partitioning Errors

Ahmed Taha consult.itlinux at gmail.com
Wed Jun 24 17:01:12 UTC 2009

Just a thought; Have you tried to zero the MBR first in the ks profile ?
Also I found out that clearpart --all --initlabel must be used otherwise
errors for failed partitioning persist. You may try changing your kickstart
profile to reflect something like the following:

bootloader --location=mbr --driveorder=sda,sdb
clearpart --all --initlabel
part /boot --fstype ext3 --size=100 --ondisk=sda
part pv.31 --size=10000 --ondisk=sda
volgroup VolGroup00 --pesize=32768 pv.31
logvol swap --fstype swap --name=swap --vgname=VolGroup00 --size=1000
logvol / --fstype ext3 --name=root --vgname=VolGroup00 --size=6000

Ahmed

On Tue, Jun 23, 2009 at 10:08 AM, Chandler Wilkerson <chwilk at rice.edu>wrote:

> It sounds like anaconda is not seeing your hard drive at all (which to my
> recollection happens with VMWare's SCSI drivers in some versions).
>
> You can get more info by going to the shell after getting the error
> (Alt-F2) and running the list-harddrives command.
>
> --
> Chandler Wilkerson
> Rice University
>
> Corey Garst wrote:
>
>> I've set up a fairly default install of Spacewalk 0.5 and set up a
>> channel for CentOS 5.2. I've set up a CentOS 5.2 distro for kickstart
>> and I'm not off to a great start. Perhaps this is just something simple
>> that I've missed that someone could chime in on.
>>
>> When I PXE boot with an IDE VM in VMware Workstation, I get the error:
>>        "An error occurred trying to format myvg/rootvol.  This problem
>> is serious, and the install cannot continue."
>>
>> When I PXE boot with a SCSI VM in VMware Workstation, I get the error:
>>        "Could not allocate requested partitions: Partitioning failed:
>> Could not allocate partitions as primary partitions. Not enough space
>> left to create partition for /boot."
>>
>> Here is the partitioning details from Spacewalk > Systems > Kickstart >
>> Profiles > CentOS-5-2. I'm not sure where this is stored in file.
>>
>>        partition /boot --fstype=ext3 --size=200
>>        partition swap --size=1000   --maxsize=2000
>>        partition pv.01 --size=1000 --grow
>>
>>        volgroup myvg pv.01
>>
>>        logvol / --vgname=myvg --name=rootvol --size=1000 --grow
>>

>> -Corey Garst

>> !DSPAM:3857,4a02e40818327459121103!

Ahmed G. Taha
Linux Systems Consultant RHCE &