NetworkManager?

Bryan J Smith bjs at redhat.com
Mon Mar 23 01:20:12 UTC 2009

On Sun, 2009-03-22 at 16:29 +0100, Frank Kimbell wrote:
> network --device eth0 --mtu=1500 --bootproto static --ip 0.0.0.0
> --netmask 255.255.255.0 --gateway 0.0.0.0 --nameserver 127.0.0.1 --
> hostname svr.tester.com
> This has always worked before the recent update. (it sets IP to
> "0.0.0.0" and I change that later. But 0.0.0.0 is a correct value, and
> it did work before.)

Not trying to question and I don't know the history, but if you need to
bring an interface up, it never hurts to assign an address from the
reserved IPv4 LINKLOCAL subnet, per IETF -- 169.254/16.  It's not merely
reserved for DHCP.  The LINKLOCAL concept has a far greater purpose,
including being the non-routable address to another, routable address
assigned to the same interface.

BTW, the last octets for the node often match those of the last two
octets of the MAC address, although there is a formal way to derive
them.

--
Bryan J Smith     Senior Consultant    Red Hat GPS SE US
mailto:bjs at redhat.com         +1 (407) 489-7013 (Mobile)