[Fwd: network step always skipped in kickstart.py]

Matt Rose mrose at n-able.com
Wed Mar 25 19:37:38 UTC 2009

Kyle Powell wrote:

> Matt Rose wrote:
>
>> I posted this to the anaconda list with echoing silence, so I was
>> wondering if someone here could help me figure out exactly what was
>> going on.  Why does anaconda *always* skip the network configuration
>> step if kickstart is used?
>>

> You patched anaconda and now it's not working. Your patch is only two lines. My
> guess would be self.ksdata.network is always evaluating as true, which is
> causing network to always be skipped. Add some debug code to confirm this.

The debug code is what led me to write the patch.  Well, that and some
digging around in kickstart.py.

If you read kickstart.py, it always calls dispatch.skipStep("network"),
no matter whether or not the network configuration is specified.

the patch I posted actually gets it to work as expected, and not call
dispatch.skipStep("network") if there's no "network" command in the ks.cfg.

without the patch, the network configuration step is *always* skipped,
no matter whether I specify a network entry in ks.cfg or not.

To put it in more "bug" terms, without the patch underneath, the
following ks.cfg does *not* bring up the network configuration screen,
even though I expect it to.

install
cdrom
lang en_US.UTF-8
keyboard us
rootpw --iscrypted "$1$Q8UIYpca$uHhNzcR8qKtzFAa4Z.zmq."
firewall --disabled
authconfig --enableshadow --enablemd5
text
skipx
selinux --disabled
timezone --utc America/New_York
reboot
bootloader --location=mbr
autopart

%pre

%packages
@base

%post

Mind you, I'm not sure whether my expectations are correct.

The patch I attached "fixes" this behaviour so that the network
configuration dialog is brought up, if there is no "network" option in
the ks.cfg

Matt