[Fwd: network step always skipped in kickstart.py]

Matt Rose mrose at n-able.com
Mon Mar 30 13:11:15 UTC 2009

First of all, thanks for responding,  I was pretty sure that the issue
had fallen into the void.  It doesn't *really* matter to me, as I've
fixed it in my source code, but I know that it's bitten other people, as
it was originally brought to my attention in the centos IRC channel.

That's what I thought at first, because my test platform uses kickstart
and updates over http, so I figured that it was just as you suspected,
but I tried it with both the kickstart burned onto CD, and the ks=floppy
boot method, and both times, it failed to configure the network.

There's one scenario left that I haven't tested, which is to boot up on
a network without a DHCP server (I haven't tested it for a couple of
reasons[1]), and see if it asks for a network configuration.

However based on my reading of the anaconda code; the fact that
kickstart.py *always* calls dispatch.skipStep("network"), and the commit
message from a commit that was subsequently retracted in the anaconda
git repo[2], I'm  sure that, no matter what I do, if kickstart is
invoked, it will not ask me to configure the network.

I guess I have to open up an enhancement request on Fedora to get this
fixed to behave as I think it should...

1.  I'd have to set up a virtual network on a private LAN, which would
take too much time for a test that I know would fail, and it's kinda
beside the point, just because the use case I'm envisioning separates
install-time network configuration from permanent network config

2.  http://preview.tinyurl.com/dyv7y9 and the commit message states:

    This patch adds support for a new network bootproto.  The point of
    this is
    to work around our basic assumption that no network line in the
    kickstart
    file means you get dhcp.  Some environments may want the assumption that
    no network line means you get prompted for network configuration.
    That's
    what this patch adds.

and the commit is reverted two weeks later.  After reading the bug
referenced the commit msg, I kinda understand what happened. (It's a
confusing bug).