tar.gz installation

Bryan J Smith bjs at redhat.com
Tue May 26 10:07:50 UTC 2009

On Tue, 2009-05-26 at 09:31 +0800, John Summerfield wrote:
> If those dependencies are not met, it's unlikely to work at all.
> Properly built, an rpm will specify those dependencies and ensure that
> they are met.

Correct.  Remember, we're kickstarting many systems here.  So we do want
the original poster to recognize the value in doing it proper.

On Tue, 2009-05-26 at 00:02 -0500, Mike Jennings wrote:
> I believe dags repo has everything you need for astericks. You'll just
> need to add his repo into your kickstart file then put astericks in
> the packages list.
> Dag.wieers.com. As I recall.

I would _never_ recommend directly tapping a 3rd party repository in a
network, and especially not a corporate one using kickstarts.  I would
at least create an internal repository of the 3rd party repository.
That will greatly reduce Internet bandwidth requirements, as well as
control what versions you are upgrading to (I won't common on DAG's
release model).  This should also be done for official Fedora releases
itself as well.

More anal -- i.e., this is what I have always done in my professional
career -- I would selectively rebuild RPMs into my own repository.  As
an independent consultant prior, it meant I wasn't liable for
redistribution of possibly questionable licensed packages.  I don't
think asterisk itself is one, but one has to be careful with some of the
codec and other options.

I'd fetch the software and build from SPEC file on-site at the customer,
and only at the customer's request.  I.e., the liability is on the
customer, not myself.  If I'm merely redistributing 3rd party packages,
then there could be other liabilities on myself, especially now given
who I work for.

Just considerations, both technical and legal.

--
Bryan J Smith     Senior Consultant    Red Hat GPS SE US
mailto:bjs at redhat.com         +1 (407) 489-7013 (Mobile)