Kickstart, partitioning, differing disk space

Matt Rose mrose at n-able.com
Mon Nov 9 20:34:22 UTC 2009

If we're gonna be showing our work...

Here's how I partition my drives.  This grabs the driveinfo from the
python libs, and apportions the drive as

/backup is 15%
/var/log is 5%, with a min of 1G. and a max of 5G.
/boot is 128M

/ is whatever's left.

See Chip's entry for how to detect vmware.  Hyper-V identifies as
Microsoft Corp as the system-manufacturer.

This will *probably* not work for FC12 and RHEL-6, whenever that comes
out, as they've entirely re-written the storage layer, but it works for
redhat 5 based -distros.

drive = isys.hardDriveDict().keys()[0]
dev = parted.PedDevice.get("/dev/%s" % drive)
sizeMB = (float(dev.heads * dev.cylinders * dev.sectors) / (1024 * 1024)
* dev.sector_size)
sizeMB_i = int(math.floor(sizeMB))
backup_size = int(math.floor(float(sizeMB * .15)))

if int(math.floor(float(sizeMB * .05))) < 1000:
        log_size = 1000
elif int(math.floor(float(sizeMB * .05))) > 5000:
        log_size = 5000
else:
        log_size = int(math.floor(float(sizeMB * .05)))

print "/var/log size is %i " % log_size
print "/backup size is %i " % backup_size
root_size = (sizeMB_i - backup_size - log_size - 128 -
iutil.swapSuggestion()[1] )
print "/ size is %i " % root_size

Matt