AW: Kickstart using static IP address

Peter Scheie peter.scheie at visionshareinc.com
Mon Nov 30 14:03:02 UTC 2009

On Fri, 2009-11-27 at 08:47 -0600, Simon Reber wrote:
> Hi List,
>
> It seems that I have found the problem.
> After I've entered the IP address information, anaconda is downloading the kickstart file and parsing it directly.
> Unfortunately do I configure the network information in the %pre section and include it afterwards
> 	Like: %include /tmp/network-include
>
> And since the kickstart parse does not find anything network related at the first time it parse the file it switches back to DHCP:
> >From anaconda log:

> file location http://<address>/ks.cfg
> transferring ks
> setting up kickstart
> kickstartFromUrl
> result of url ks
> setting language to
> need to setup networking
> going to pick interface
> going to do getNetConfig
> sending dhcp request through device eth0
>
> Does anyone has an idea, how I can avoid that anaconda is switching back to DHCP (meaning using the information I've entered)?
>
> Thanks and all the best,
> Si

I have run into this problem as well.  The solution I'm using at the
moment is three-part: 1) add 'network bootproto=query' to the kickstart
file; 2) put the kickstart file into the initrd.img; 3) in the boot
command use 'ks=file:/kickstart.cfg.  This works all though it is a bit
clumsy.  When the kickstart is read from the initrd, it will trigger the
network config dialogs (net.c).  This info is then used to retrieve
stage2.  But in stage2 a second set of network dialogs will appear, also
triggered by the 'network' setting in the kickstart.cfg.  The good news
is that all the values you just entered in loader (stage1) will be
auto-filled in the dialogs in stage2, so you can just hit enter.

Unfortunately for me, this is still too cumbersome for my needs, so I'm
having to hack loader (net.c) in stage1 and anaconda in stage2 to reduce
the number of dialogs, e.g why, if I've specified bootproto=query, is
there a dialog asking me if I want to configure the network, when I've
already told it to do so?.  It would be nice if stage2 were smart enough
to deduce that if network values are passed to it from stage1, that it
doesn't need to prompt for them again.

Peter

Peter