RHEL5 Kickstart and serial console

Larry Brigman larry.brigman at gmail.com
Tue Oct 13 15:17:58 UTC 2009

On Tue, Oct 13, 2009 at 3:36 AM, Adam Goodall <agoodall at rm.com> wrote:

> [...]

In 5.1 thru 5.3 I have needed to add the following to my %post section
to achieve what you
are looking to do.  I have kept this option in the 5.4 installs as I
haven't seen any problems.

 # modify inittab to add serial console login
cat >>/etc/inittab <<EOF
#serial console login enabled
co:2345:respawn:/sbin/agetty ttyS0 115200 vt100-nav
EOF

Changing the grub config to have hidden menu and other options like
grub serial console
had to be done in the post section also by sed.

# modify grub for serial console
sed -i -e 's/^timeout=5/serial --unit=0 --speed=115200 --word=8
--parity=no --stop=1 \
terminal --timeout=5 serial console \
timeout=5/' \
 -e 's/^splashimage/#&/' /boot/grub/grub.conf

Note that there is a bug in grub that prevents serial console output
when the splashimage
option is being used.