dynamic url parameter in ks file to support different architectures

Jodok Ole Muellers muellejo at aschendorff.de
Thu Oct 29 17:12:54 UTC 2009

Hello,

I would like to have to maintain only one kickstart file for both architectures i386 & x86_64

"url" should look like this for x64 installs:

  url --url http://install.server.tld/linux/redhat/rhel5.4/x86_64/

and like this for x32

  url --url http://install.server.tld/linux/redhat/rhel5.4/i386/

That's the only difference I need.

My idea was to use uname or dmidecode in a %pre section
to determine the current architecture of the machine
and create the "url" option dynamically and then use %include to use it:

--- ks snip start ---
%pre
echo "url --url http://install.server.tld/linux/redhat/rhel5.4/`uname -m`/" > /tmp/archurl

install
%include /tmp/archurl
--- ks snap end ---

But that is not working. Anaconda is then asking interactively for an install medium/url.
The back-ticked uname is not the problem, I also hard coded the architecture for testing:
echo "url --url http://install.server.tld/linux/redhat/rhel5.4/x86_64/" > /tmp/archurl
but that is also not working.

Any suggestions ?

TIA