Few questions

Hugh Brown hbrown at divms.uiowa.edu
Wed Sep 23 14:31:32 UTC 2009

Arthur Lutz wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm using kickstart (with pungi) to create a custom CD installer. I
> have a few questions about the possibility of doing a few things with
> kickstart and if it is, how... thanks in advance :
>
> * select "resize partitionning" by default (dual boot with windows)
>
> * add a user (for some reason I get a prompt for root password but no
>   user creation). Do I have to use firstboot for this ?
>
> * rename the generated grub entry "Other" into "Windows"
>
> * make grub default entry the windows one
>
> Thanks in advance.

The kickstart options page that I use for reference is
http://www.redhat.com/docs/manuals/enterprise/RHEL-5-manual/Installation_Guide-en-US/s1-kickstart2-options.html

I'm not familiar with a kickstart directive that will shrink a windows
partition and then lay out appropriate linux partitions in the freed up
space.  There might be something that can be done in %pre to shrink a
windows partition, but generally it would be a better idea to have the
windows partition pre-shrunk before installing linux.

The remaining items can be done in %post with scripts.

Hugh