Can the NFS media location be passed to anaconda as a kernel arg?

Chris Lumens clumens at redhat.com
Thu Apr 29 12:59:56 UTC 2010

> I want to setup PXE network installs that are interactive, but I'd like
> to limit the amount of questions the user has to enter for each one. The
> PXE boot already passes some kernel args to configure the serial
> console, and force a vnc install. I'm wondering if I can also supply the
> NFS location for the media as a kernel arg so that users don't need to
> type it in everytime (It's always the same, and it's long.)

Sure, method= (or stage2=/repo= if you're using F13 or RHEL6 beta).

You'd do something like method=nfs:your.server.here:/mnt/wherever

Keep in mind if your path plus other parameters is too long, you're
going to run up against a size limit and arguments will start getting
trimmed or dropped.  So if you start to see pretty weird behavior, it
might be time to switch to a kickstart file.

> Also I know when doing KickStart installs, you can use ks-device=eth1 to
> avoid being prompted for the network device when there is more than one.
> Can I use this same option so that the interactive user doesn't have to
> know which eth to pick?
>
> On a related note, is there a way to have anaconda figure out which
> interface the PXE boot booted the machine on and just go with that one?
> Right now I need to make 2 different PXE boot config files for the 2
> types of machines I have because one boots on eth0 and the other on eth1.

ksdevice=bootif

- Chris