Kickstart-list Digest, Vol 78, Issue 10

Dan Davis dansmood at gmail.com
Fri Aug 27 19:27:15 UTC 2010

On Fri, Aug 27, 2010 at 12:09 PM, Lance Gropper
<streamscalelance at gmail.com>wrote:

> Hello Dan:
>
> My script already figures out the device - the problem is using that device
> in the harddrive statement, by putting the harddrive statement in the %pre
> isn't working...
>
> Lance

We use the same temporary file mechanism that you do, where the kickstart
file includes a temporary file written by %pre, but we don't use the
harddrive command
to tell anaconda where to find the media.  I guess that anaconda resolves
where to get too early for the temporary file mechanism to work.

What I was saying before should work ... but more detail is needed.  We
modify the ks= command to make it dynamically depend on the name of the USB
volume.

When we build our DVD, we have an isolinux.cfg that includes:
    kernel vmlinuz
    append selinux=0 initrd=initrd.img ks=cdrom:/upgrade.cfg

Once we have the ISO, we make our USB disk bootable with parted, and then
build a labeled vfat partition:
    mkfs.vfat -n MINE /dev/sde1

After we've transferred the ISO onto a USB with livecd-iso-to-disk, we
modify syslinux.cfg to change the ks= line:
    kernel vmlinuz
    append initrd=initrd.img repo=hd:UUID=6D6C-9D8A:/
ks=hd:LABEL=MINE:/upgrade.cfg

We never have to tell anaconda where to find the media.

I hadn't noticed the UUID in there before, it must be exactly what is
suggested by Bryan.  I suspect that using the UUID= would work just as well
as the LABEL=,
and vice versa.

Hopefully, this helps, but I inherited this build from someone else ... I
just got the USB install to work yesterday.