Installing 32 & 64 bit package

pbdlists at pinboard.com pbdlists at pinboard.com
Fri Jan 15 20:08:13 UTC 2010

Hi Arvind,

On Fri, Jan 15, 2010 at 02:35:28PM -0500, Arvind Navale wrote:

> Hi Folks,
>
> I am kickstart a server with a custom profile where I have RPM package names listed in it instead or going with Core, Base or Everything. In the kickstart configuration I am specifying initial name of the RPM and apparently see that only one RPM package gets installed (not sure if its 32 or 64 bit). So basically I wanted to know,
>
> 1. What entries are needed in kickstart config file in order to install both 32 and 64 bit RPMs.

I don't know the proper format by heart, but there is a way to specify
the architechture. Something like

  pkgname.i386
  pkgname.x86_64

Don't know, however whether the same work for package groups.

if you want to install packages of a certain architecture by hand or in
the %post section, you'd use:

  rpm -i --arch=i386 pkgname
  rpm -i --arch=x86_64 pkgname
  yum install pkganem.i386
  yum install pkgname.x8664

> 2. When I run 'rpm -qi' for a RPM package name how can I tell which one is the information for 32 or 64 bit.

You might want to try the following:

  rpm -qa --qf "%{NAME}-%{VERSION}-%{RELEASE}.%{ARCH}\n"

To get a list of all the tags available use

  rpm --querytags

Cheers,

Kurt