Kickstart.cfg file for HP Blade Server

Arvind Navale an_linux at live.com
Tue Mar 9 22:24:04 UTC 2010

Hi Folks,

I am in the process of performing Kickstart test for HP blade server which has internal drives managed by Smart Array Controller. I will be installing RHEL-4.4 version of OS and will be applying kernel patch to bring it to update-6 version of kernel. This server has SAN attached disks and I am trying to understand how can call out the OS disk and its partition in the kickstart.cfg file and prevent SAN disks being selected. So far I used SCSI disks and different hardware platform which had device path as /dev/sd# and were as with this HP blade server my understanding is that the OS disk will be using CCISS drivers and will have /dev/cciss/c#d# as its device path. I am looking have / on physical partition and remaining OS file systems on LVM partition. Based on my research so far here is what I have come with and would like to have it validated to make it will work without issues.

clearpart --drives=cciss/c0d0 -all --initlabel
part / -fstype ext3 --size=8000 --asprimary --ondisk=cciss/c0d0
part pv.1 --size=120000 --grow --ondisk=cciss/c0d0

volgroup rootvg pv.1
logvol /usr --fstype ext3 --name=usr-vol --vgname=rootvg --size=8000
logvol /var --fstype ext3 --name=var-vol --vgname=rootvg --size=8000
logvol /opt --fstype ext3 --name=opt-vol --vgname=rootvg --size=8000
logvol swap --fstype swap --name=swap-vol --vgname=rootvg --size=8192
logvol /tmp --fstype ext3 --name=tmp-vol --vgname=rootvg --size=4000

It would great if any one provide an pointer as to how kickstart.cfg file is prepared. Appreciate everyone's time regarding this.

Thank you,
AN