RHEL6 kickstart installation from USB key

Philip Juels juels at photodiagnostic.com
Thu Oct 7 15:00:25 UTC 2010

Hi all,

I've been kickstart installing RHEL4 and 5 from a 32GB USB key for a couple
of years now.  The method I use to create the USB installation environment
is roughly:

1)  Re-partition USB key:  one small, 100MB, vfat partition containing the
boot loader, kernel, ramdisk image, and kickstart config file; remainder of
storage is a ext2 partition containing the package repository and
installation customizations.
2)  Use syslinux and lilo for bootloader.

I tried this method to build a similar RHEL6 USB key installer, but with no
success.  Basically, after the kernel loads, I get nothing, just a hung
system (something going wrong at the ramdisk loading?).

Anyway, as anyone else successfully created a USB-based RHEL6 kickstart
installer?

THX,

--PJ