Anaconda DBUS error on kickstart

Edward Z. Yang ezyang at mit.edu
Mon Sep 20 06:17:30 UTC 2010

Hello all,

I am receiving the following Python exception when running
Fedora 13 Kickstart installation:

anaconda 13.42 exception report
Traceback (most recent call first):
  File "/usr/lib/python2.6/site-packages/dbus/bus.py", line 125, in __new__
    bus = cls._new_for_bus(address_or_type, mainloop=mainloop)
  File "/usr/lib/python2.6/site-packages/dbus/_dbus.py", line 108, in __new__
    bus = BusConnection.__new__(subclass, bus_type, mainloop=mainloop)
  File "/usr/lib/python2.6/site-packages/dbus/_dbus.py" line 202, in __new__
    private=private)
  File "/usr/lib/anaconda/isys.py", line 329, in getDeviceProperties
    bus = dbus.SystemBus()
  File "/usr/lib/anaconda/network.py", line 277, in __init__
    devhash = isys.getDeviceProperties(dev=None)
  File "/usr/bin/anaconda", line 546, in network
    self._network = network.Network()
  File "/usr/lib/anaconda/kickstart.py", line 550, in execute
    devices = anaconda.network.netdevices
  File "/usr/lib/anaconda/kickstart.py", line 1124, in execute
    obj.execute(self.anaconda)
  File "/usr/bin/anaconda", line 1211, in <module>
    anaconda.ksdata.execute()
DBusException: org.freedesktop.DBus.Error.NoReply:
Did not receive a reply. Possible causes include:
the remote application did not send a reply, the
message bus security policy blocked the reply, the
reply timeout expired, or the network connection
was broken.

Here is the Kickstart file we are using:

http://scripts.mit.edu/old-faithful.txt

It appears to get past the disk partioning stage before getting stuck.
We are running Anaconda inside Xen with a somewhat special network
setup (eth0 for public network and eth1 for private network), I can provide
more configuration details if you want.

Googling did not indicate anyone had seen this particular error before.
Installing the server manually is fine.

Cheers,
Edward