Mapping from old package names to new

Allison Roth Allison.Roth at cmgl.ca
Tue Apr 12 16:44:43 UTC 2011

I have a kickstart file we've been using for at least a couple of years
now.  However, with RHEL 6, the entire packages section bombs since
apparently everything here has been changed.  Anyone have any thoughts
about how to figure out what the mapping from the old to the new is?  I
know how to get the list of package names, but how do I know what they
contains as opposed to the old names (without a lot of painful trial and
error)?  For example, we used to install the "development-libs" package.
I now no longer see any package named that, so what is it? Is it
"additional development"? Is it "compatibility libraries"? Has it been
moved under development tools?  And that's just one of about 40 lines in
the kickstart packages section.

If anyone has any ideas about how to figure all this out other than just
hoping and lots of errors of things missing (or lots of extra packages
installed) I'd really appreciate it.

Allison Roth

IT Support

Computer Modelling Group Ltd.