Use entire disk as PV.

Speagle, Andy andy.speagle at wichita.edu
Thu Apr 28 12:54:03 UTC 2011

Hi Team,

I'm trying to setup the partitioning section of my kickstarts in such a way that rather than partitioning a disk and using /dev/sdX1 as the PV for my root VG, that I can instead use the entire disk.

The reason for doing this would be to make PV resizing a bit easier for virtual machines.  Otherwise, I must muck around with the partition table and blah blah ... not a show-stopper, but potentially dangerous for junior admins.

I suspect that the functionality just isn't there... but does anyone know the magic syntax to get it to use the entire drive (aka. /dev/sdb) as a PV during kickstart?

Thanks,

Andy Speagle
System & Storage Administrator
UCATS - Wichita State University