ksvalidator - can't detect errors?

Matt Rose mrose at n-able.com
Wed Aug 17 12:56:17 UTC 2011

On Wed, 17 Aug 2011, whitivery wrote:

> Sometimes ksvalidator will complain but not return an error, for
> instance:
>
>   # ksvalidator -v RHEL5 /tmp/tmp.57yMAuel5v
>   The following problem occurred on line 2 of the kickstart file:
>   Unknown command: somesetting1
>   # echo $?
>   0
>
> I want to be able to detect such problems.  But when I try to
> redirect or pipe the output of ksvalidator, it produces no
> output.
>
> How can I detect such problems within a shell script?

The error might be printed on stderr, which you would have to catch
specifically, most likely by redirecting the output to stdout, and
catching stdout.  If this is the case, something like this might work.

output=$(ksvalidator -v RHEL5 /tmp/tmp.57yMAuel5v 2>&1)

In general, with shell scripts, if you see output in interactive mode, but
not when you run it and capture the output in a script, this is the case.

Matt