ksvalidator - can't detect errors?

Matt Rose mrose at n-able.com
Wed Aug 17 13:14:58 UTC 2011

On Wed, 17 Aug 2011, whitivery wrote:

> Sometimes ksvalidator will complain but not return an error, for
> instance:
>
>   # ksvalidator -v RHEL5 /tmp/tmp.57yMAuel5v
>   The following problem occurred on line 2 of the kickstart file:
>   Unknown command: somesetting1
>   # echo $?
>   0
>
> I want to be able to detect such problems.  But when I try to
> redirect or pipe the output of ksvalidator, it produces no
> output.
>
> How can I detect such problems within a shell script?
>
> Fedora 14, pykickstart-1.77-2.

Just another note that both problems mentioned above have been fixed in
pykickstart 1.82-1

$ cat /etc/fedora-release ; rpm -q pykickstart ; ksvalidator /tmp/foo ;
echo $?
Fedora release 15 (Lovelock)
pykickstart-1.82-1.fc15.noarch
The following problem occurred on line 188 of the kickstart file:

Section does not end with %%end.

1

Matt