Is it possible to set the installation display mode with the use of an %include and %pre?

Matthew Richards Matthew.Richards at contentkeeper.com
Thu Mar 17 06:41:44 UTC 2011

Is it possible to set the installation display mode with the use of an %include
command and accompanying commands in the %pre section?

I would like to choose to perform the install in either 'text' or 'graphical'
mode depending upon the system hardware.

My attempts to do this so far have failed and it appears that the installation
display mode, which defaults to graphical as you'd know, cannot be set in the
manner that I have described.

I have the following %include at the top of my kickstart file:

%include /tmp/ks-display-mode

....and in my %pre section I have:

%pre
#--- If the system arch is x86_64 and it contains a Silicon Motion, Inc. SM712
LynxEM+ video adapter then set the install mode to text, otherwise set it to
graphical.
echo "graphical" > /tmp/ks-display-mode
if [ "$(uname -i)" = "x86_64" ] ; then
    if $(lspci | grep -q "VGA compatible controller: Silicon Motion, Inc. SM712
LynxEM+") ; then
        echo "text" > /tmp/ks-display-mode
    fi
fi

A quick check of the /tmp/ks-display-mode file during installation shows that
the word 'text' is being written to the file.

Any suggestions?