New to Kickstart, trying to add custom packages to DVD Repo.

Mike Partain turbo2007 at gmail.com
Fri Mar 18 10:03:08 UTC 2011

Excellent Tip!  This worked for me!

My setup i am using MAC OSX and VMWare Fusion for testing purposes.

I have my custom kickstart on the CD and I have modified the isolinux.cfg to append "ks=cdrom:/ks.cfg" to the default linux and disabled the prompt.  This kicks off the custom install with my ks.cfg file.

I did a install of RHEL Server to a VM and mounted the RHEL Server ISO.  Once mounted i copied the contents of the DVD to /media/rhel.
Once copied i created an addons directory inside the Server folder (/media/rhel/Server/addons).  I copied isomaster and the supporting xdg-utils rpm to the addons folder.

At this point o ran the command you provided:
> createrepo --update -g repodata/comps-rhel5-server-core.xml .

This generated new files in the repodata folder.  I copied these files and the addons folder to the ISO (using MagicISO on Windows) and saved the ISO.  Back to the VM, i created a new VM and configured it to boot the new custom ISO and once installation is completed i logged in and isomaster is installed.

thank you very much for the excellent support and assistance.