Use entire disk as PV.

Moray Henderson Moray.Henderson at ict-software.org
Tue May 3 09:09:57 UTC 2011

From: Speagle, Andy [mailto:andy.speagle at wichita.edu]

I'm trying to setup the partitioning section of my kickstarts in such a way
that rather than partitioning a disk and using /dev/sdX1 as the PV for my
root VG, that I can instead use the entire disk.

The reason for doing this would be to make PV resizing a bit easier for
virtual machines.  Otherwise, I must muck around with the partition table
and blah blah . not a show-stopper, but potentially dangerous for junior
admins.

I suspect that the functionality just isn't there. but does anyone know the
magic syntax to get it to use the entire drive (aka. /dev/sdb) as a PV
during kickstart?

Why do you need to resize PVs for virtual machines?  You allocate the extra
space to your VM as another virtual drive or partition, then using LVM
create another Physical Volume for that drive, add that Physical Volume to
your Volume Group and Logical Volume, and extend the filesystem.  No
mucking around with an existing partition table.

I would be confused if I encountered a disk without a partition table - I'd
probably assume it wasn't formatted at all.  Better to train your junior
admins in standard practice?

Moray.

"To err is human; to purr, feline."