Monitoring kickstart install status

Chun Tat David Chu beyonddc.storage at gmail.com
Tue May 3 21:34:43 UTC 2011

Hi All,

I am hoping to run a python script in the background during %pre to monitor
the kickstart install status.  My script will periodically send status to a
server somewhere within LAN and report the current installation status.

Running a python script in %pre and sending status to a remote server is the
easy part but I am not sure what to monitor to retrieve the kickstart
install status.

One thought I have is to monitor the /mnt/sysimage/root/install.log and
compare the number of packages installed and the number of packages
specified in the ks.cfg and get a rough estimate of the kickstart install
status.

I am not sure if this is a correct way to do or there's a better to do so.

Please let me know if you've any suggestion or thought.

Thanks!

- David