Driver disk loading via NFS fails on Cisco switch, OK on Dell

david klein root at nachtmaus.us
Mon Nov 14 01:20:21 UTC 2011

Check to see if the client, switch and up-stream router agree on maximum
frame-size (i.e. if one is trying to do jumbo-frames and the other can't,
it can cause troubles). Make sure the switch-port that the client is using
is setup as an access-port, not a trunk. Set the client's port for
spanning-tree portfast and turn on BPDU-guard.

On Sun, Nov 13, 2011 at 1:53 PM, whitivery <co55-sy1t at dea.spamcon.org>wrote:

> I have a working Cobbler server, using it to load units with
> CentOS 5.7.  It works fine with a simple Dell 2716 switch
> connecting the server and targets.  Also with a LinkSys RV016.
>
> Substituting a Cisco 2960 switch, it fails.  It network boots,
> shows the PXE menu, I choose an entry, it gets a DHCP address on
> its eth0, and starts loading including getting its kickstart via
> HTTP.  But when it goes to load the driver disk image via NFS, it
> hangs.  The Anaconda Alt-F4 screen shows it not seeing the NFS
> server; after 2 minutes of trying, it times out and the Alt-F4
> screen shows an error dump.
>
> Tried the switch with and without RST (rapid spanning tree)
> active, no difference.
>
> The switch seems to work OK for normal network operations outside
> the kickstart environment, for what we use.
>
> Any idea what it might be that could be interfering with the NFS
> disk driver loading step?

david t. klein

Cisco Certified Network Associate (CSCO11281885)
Linux Professional Institute Certification (LPI000165615)
Redhat Certified Engineer (805009745938860)

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?