Aligning partitions

Petro petro at cpetro.us
Wed Nov 30 08:50:34 UTC 2011

On 11/30/11 02:30 AM, I wrote from a different account:
> Re: Alligning partitions
>

>> Hi
>> I am building Red Hat 5.4 and 5.5 boxes on VMWare and some on HP
>> blades with SAN attached storage. I need to do
>> partition alignment during build which I understand is done
>> automatically in Red Hat 6's version of anaconda and later but not
>> yet in 5.4, 5.5. So a number of questions:
>> * I could not find an option for part in the
>> docs  (http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Anaconda/Kickstart#part_or_partition)
>> that easily allow me to set a sector offset. I have found a number of
>> ways to do this but was wondering if there is an hidden option to do
>> this using part. Currently I am using fdisk to create a partition
>> starting at sector 64 rather than 63 for SAN storage and doing the
>> same for VMWare boxes.
>
> I *thought* (check with VMware) that after Vsphere 3 you wouldn't need
> to align the partitions any more--but the last time I checked was in
> 2009, so I could be seriously wrong. Or you could be running V3, in
> which case...
I was wrong about this, at least in 4.0.

>> * How can I easily debug my kickstart? I currently change the
>> kickstart and then reboot the physical server but that is
>> very painful as it has to go through all of the bios checks etc and
>> then sometime I forget to press F12... I tried adding a sleep 100000
>> to my pre scripts which works and allows me to run some commands on
>> the command line but I am not sure how to "reparse" the kickstart
>> file to test whether new settings works.
>
> I usually use VMware Workstation/Player to debug my kickstart scripts,
> with lots of redirecting to different log files. This lets me sit in
> my somewhat comfy chair in a slightly quieter machine room (my desk is
> on a raised floor, but most of the servers are in the other room) and
> watch the installs while I do other things. Then when I've got it
> mostly right I run it on the real hardware, which would (eventually)
> be a known transform.

One of my co-workers pointed me to an rpm called "pykickstart" that
contains ksvalidator.

It seems to work as it gave me the same errors on my ks.cfg as anaconda
did.

I still don't understand why --resolution and --depth don't take any
options in 6.1, when they don't make sense without options.

Regards,
Petro.
:wq