Inducing package checksum failure in Anaconda

Chun Tat David Chu beyonddc.storage at gmail.com
Thu Sep 1 19:18:34 UTC 2011

Hi All,

I am currently using Anaconda from RHEL5.2 and trying to induce a checksum
failure on a RPM.

What I did is in an existing YUM repo, I manually modify a RPM.  My
assumption is by modifying a RPM, the sha1 checksum value specified in the
primary.xml.gz in the repodata directory will be differ from the modified
RPM.

When I said modifying a RPM, I mean rebuild a RPM and replace the one from
the repo with the new one.

My expectation is to see an error message from Anaconda indicating
unexpected checksum value however that is not the case, the package get
installed successfully.

It appears to me that the repodata is not being use by Anaconda for
integrity checking.

Can someone please confirm my finding?

Thanks,

David