clearpart -all warning

Jason Edgecombe jason at rampaginggeek.com
Wed Apr 11 14:30:52 UTC 2012

On 04/11/2012 09:41 AM, jon public wrote:
> Hi there
>
> I've customized my kickstart to delete all partitions ( clearpart --all ).
> I've noticed that the installer only shows a warning message when the disk
> does not have a valid partition ( like new virtual machines ).
>
> I'm afraid that someone might wipe his entire disk if booting by mistake
> from the customized disk. Is there any way of forcing anaconda to always
> ask for user confirmation before erasing disk partitions?
>
> Thanks for you help!

I suggest using your bootloader to offer a menu where the default option
is not to kickstart. The syslinux bootloader can do this.

Two options:
1. nuking is not the default

for example, when booting the media (CD, USB, or PXE), you are given a
menu "press enter to boot from HDD. type 'nukeit' to rebuild system"

2. nuking is default, but with a long delay
As a compromise, make "nukeit" be the default, but put in a longer
delay. Be aware that pressing the Enter key will skip the delay.

Jason