how to tell when biosboot partition is needed?

Richard Neuboeck hawk at tbi.univie.ac.at
Fri Aug 10 19:57:26 UTC 2012

Hi List,

I'm in the same predicament as Steve. My manual test installs of
Fedora 17 result in msdos and gpt partition table labels. Since I'm
using kickstart and a pre install script to partition the disc I would
also like to find a way to determine if a biosboot partition is
necessary or not.

The only sure reason to install a biosboot partition I could find was
a disc >= 3TB.

The UEFI test system I'm using definitely has UEFI enabled and since
the disc has 3TB should use EFI. But I couldn't find efi in sysfs like
anaconda tries to do to determine if it's an EFI capable system.
However this system gets a gpt label in my tests. But I don't know how
anaconda comes to that conclusion.

So right now I'm only relying on the disk size to choose the partition
layout in my preinstall script.

Any pointers where I can find more details or information on how to
make an educated guess on how to partition would be very welcome.

Thanks!
Richard