installation halts at two different points

Moray Henderson Moray.Henderson at ict-software.org
Thu Aug 30 11:16:51 UTC 2012

From: Megha Agrawal [mailto:megha_dtel at yahoo.com]
Sent: 29 August 2012 09:25

I am using kickstart to automate CentOS 5.5 installation. I have
successfully burnt an iso and installed using this. Next I added a few more
packages to this iso and this time when I try installing, it went on
smoothly until in the end where it got stuck saying "installing boot
loader". Nothing happened afterwards.

I ejected the DVD, put it back and then tried once again - this time
installer halts in the very beginning at "Running Anaconda the CentOS system
installer .. please wait.. ".

Subsequent attempts keep halting in the beginning at "Running Anaconda the
CentOS system installer .. please wait.. ".

What could have been going wrong? I have only added a few packages/rpms this
time.

That's quite an old CentOS you're using - the supported one is 5.8.

One possibility is a corrupt DVD.  Now that you've changed the contents of
the DVD the built-in iso checksum won't work, but you could generate
checksums of every file in your source directory and compare them with
checksums read from the DVD.

Alt-F2, -F3 and -F4 switch you to a shell and debug consoles.  Alt-F1 gives
the install console again.  ps at the shell prompt can show what's going on
in the installer, and the debug consoles may contain useful error messages.

Moray.

"To err is human; to purr, feline."