vnc + rescue

Moray Henderson Moray.Henderson at ict-software.org
Wed Feb 1 17:19:40 UTC 2012

I didn't see an ssh server in CentOS 5.2 rescue mode, so I manually added
http://matt.ucc.asn.au/dropbear/dropbear.html.  Things may be different in
other distros or versions.  The way I did it was to include a simple script
for someone on-site to run after booting into rescue mode, that would prompt
them for a password and configure dropbear.  I'd be on the phone with them
anyway, so they could tell me the password and IP address.  I could then get
in and try to work out how much was left of their hard drives :-o

Of course, if the hard drives aren't broken, you can mount the filesystems
and use the ssh server from the OS.

Or instead of booting an Anaconda disk in rescue mode, you can boot a Fedora
Live CD and do whatever you like from there.

Moray.
"To err is human; to purr, feline."